So we had the annual fair in town this weekend, and so we took Clay to the fair. He decided he did not like the rides this year, and after one round of giggles and laughs, the tears came out and they had to stop the kiddie ride for him to get off. I ran to rescue him and carried him back, and asked him (now safe in my arms) if he had been scared. "No," he said bravely, without giving the ride a backward glance. But he didn't want to go on any more.
Two of my friends were in a demolition derby, so Nick took Clay home and I went to that. It was great fun. They both won in their heat, and then competed together in the final, and won 1st and 2nd place respectively. They were actually sister and brother, so after they had knocked every one else out of the running, they decided to take each other out. The brother won, and after it was over, he ran over to his sister's car to make sure she was okay. Their mother was in the stands, trying to tell some guy that those were her kids. When he finally realized (it was a bit loud) what she was telling him, he expressed his amazement quite colorfully --
"They're BOTH your kids?! Well.... blankety-blank!" Apparently, when you are at a loss for words, swearing works to fill in the gaps. It can mean anything.
I didn't do anything as exciting as win a derby, but I did manage to climb (or waddle, rather) the bleachers without them collapsing (or me falling) and that is a feat in and of itself when you are 7 months pregnant. The one good thing was that people parted like the red sea when they saw me coming, especially the guys. I didn't have to fight any crowds! It did get quite uncomfortable sitting there, trying to find a comfortable position. I got a stupid cramp in my side and thought, "Well here would be a great place to go into labor!" My city-slicker husband would have loved that legacy for his son (He thinks we're all a bunch of hicks). Fortunately, the cramps didn't amount to anything. When I finally stood up to stretch, I felt much better. Of course, the cramps could have been from the bucket of greasy cheese fries I was sharing with my friend Becky. Fair food is not exactly recommended on the "what to eat during pregnancy" list. It was probably better than a fried pickle I noticed on the menu. Hmmmmm.... I don't even want to really think about that. Yuck. However, despite all that, the baby must not have been bothered too much; he slept through the whole thing. Didn't start kicking 'til I wanted to sleep later that night.
I'll be glad when the weather cools down a bit and I don't feel like I'm in a furnace all the time. The extra poundage and weight is a big contributer to that, but there's not alot I can do about that -- at least not for a couple of months. I'll have to post some pics of my big belly. :) I look like I stuck a beach ball under my shirt.
Alas, Nick needs the computer, so I must go. Adeiu for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment